- Introduction - What is a Benchmark Project? How to upgrade a Benchmark Project to a Monthly Scheduled Project
- Creating a new Benchmark Project
- Selecting search engines to monitor
- Select keywords to Monitor
- Search Parameters - Entering Website and Competitors Details
- Competitor Rankings
- Adding a Google Analytics account
- Setting Analytics Goals
- Entering Brand Terms
- Select reports
- Almost done!
A 1 minute animation of setting up a Benchmark Project
This guide will cover the process for a New Benchmark SEO Project. This feature allows you to create a once off project that holds details for producing a Trackpal Benchmark Report.
The New Benchmark SEO Report Wizard makes life easy and should only take a few minutes.
To begin, you first need to follow the installation instructions and be logged in to your Trackpal account within Excel.
What is a Benchmark Project?
- A once off report that can include both, or one of the following items:
- Google Analytics data.
- Search Engine Rank Position Data.
- A Benchmark project is a once off report, so it will use points from your account only once, upon project creation and data retrieval.
- Project configuration settings are stored in our servers on the cloud.
- The process may vary depending on your specific needs and requirements (if we have tailored the project set-up to your bespoke needs)
- All project settings can be edited later.
Upgrade: How to upgrade a Benchmark Project to a scheduled projectThe project will then use points when collecting data every month, and you can set the project to send weekly & monthly reports.
Follow these steps to upgrade a Benchmark Report to a Monthly Scheduled report:
- Trackpal Tab > Projects > Select Project > On the Right under Project Tasks, Click Upgrade to a scheduled project.
- Next add your scheduled report:
- Goto Projects > Reports Tab > Create scheduled report and create a scheduled monthly report using these details:
Macro: Monthly SEO and Analaytics V2
Template: Monthly Search & Analytics V2
Add your email as a recipient
Change the Starting date to the 1st, so it will be scheduled for the 1st every month.
- Press OK.
Under the Trackpal tab in Excel, go to Add Projects > New Benchmark Digital Marketing Report.
The New Benchmark Digital Marketing Report panel will open up on the left, begin by entering a name for the project, a description (if necessary), and click Add Logo to upload an image to be used in your reports if you like.
- Name the project as your company/website's name. Each project you add must have a different name.
- The logo image will be scaled to fit perfectly in your reports.
- For more information on Projects, see our Support Section on Projects.
Click Next to continue.
Select which search engines you want to monitor your rankings. By default we've added Google.
More on editing search engine settings & adding a custom search engine...For further information about modifying search engine settings or creating custom ones, see here.
Click Next to continue.
Enter Keywords you want to monitor rankings for in the list. Or alternatively, fire up your keywords worksheet and select them by clicking Import keywords from existing worksheet.
You can also tag your keywords at this stage.
If a keyword has a category tag with a value in, then it will automatically be categorised within the Rankings tabs in your report, as shown below:
To add category tags when setting up a benchmark project, follow these steps:
At the benchmark Report setup wizard panel: Select query values:
- Click Add tag to your keywords
- Select Category
- Press OK
- Be sure to have your keywords in an excel sheet, with their category name in the cell beside them, as shown in the image below:
- Highlight all of your keywords and category tags.
- Click Select & import keywords from existing worksheet:
- Trackpal will automatically import your keywords and their category tag.
- Click Next
Enter a list of domains and/or URLs to match on, so we can monitor your rankings, for example:
1. Entering buzzfasttravel.com matches all areas or the website (sub-domains and sub-pages) such as:
More on matching URLs
Click here to read more on matching specific URLs
We can also monitor up to six competitors, enter those in the same format as others, for example:
Account Login: To Login and Add a Google Analytics account and authenticate it with your password follow these steps:
- Click Add account login.
- Enter a name for the account.
- Click Authenticate.
- Enter your Google Analytics login information (Email and Password).
- Click Sign in.
- Click Allow access
Trackpal will link to your Google Analytics account and you can now select the profile you wish to use.
Profile: Select the Google Analytics Profile you wish to use.
Segment: You can choose to use all data or one segment of data (if you're not sure, we recommend leaving this un-selected to enable reporting on all data).
SecurityWe value your safety and security. We use OAuth technology, meaning we don't have to store your username & password in the system.
We can import data from all your Analytics goals, or a selection of 1-4 goals.
Define your brand search terms and reports will segregate brand vs non-brand organic searches.
Brand terms for Oliver Smith's Agency Buzzfast Travel may be, including common misspellings:
- buzz travel
- buzz fast
- buz fast
- Oliver Smith
If someone searches for "Oliver Smith travel agency, UK" - this will be labelled as a brand term search due to matching with the brand term: Oliver Smith.
More on Brand Terms...For further information and a detailed example about brand terms, see here.
You may edit and add email addresses of the people you want to receive the reports.
Your project is now all set up to collect data and create your beautiful insightful reports!
View and confirm the projects usage points and settings.
Press Finish and your Benchmark project will be complete. Trackpal will automatically gather all your data and your benchmark report will be emailed to you shortly.